Skip to main content

The VCR Diaries- Act 3, Part 1


The VCR Diaries: A Poetic Documental based on the Novel Erased
The Lights have dropped.  It’s not a total black out.  Not yet anyway.  You can hear the questions and the whispers.  None of them however are stronger than the darkness.  Reece is the last woman standing, and her platform is beginning to look like a trap.  It remains erected, but it’s obvious she’s going to need to move around.  It’s the look on her face that sends this message.  It says she’s got a head full of thoughts.  It’s not even on her chest.  No, it’s right at the tip of her tongue.

Her Diary- Reece
It looks like a little black book.  The pages are red with blue lines, and there aren’t much of them.  I told you… it’s all in her head.  The handwriting is large at times, and at other times small.  It’s the difference between her whispers and her shouts.  It’s also the difference between her secrets and her attire.  It simply looks like a small book with a big roar, and if it doesn’t start talking, the crowd will go first.


The Trap

Tiny feet,
Small hands,
Loud screams,
Louder yells..

It’s hell.

Diapers sag for way too long,
Meals remain in their boxes,
While stomachs growl.

The noise is record breaking,
And sometimes if you wait long enough,
You can see the records breaking against the wall.

By the time I was sixteen,
My back was against the wall.

It was too hard,
And my vision was too soft,
One had to go..
Slow,
And steady my bag danced with me.

Years passed,
Tears got lost,
I never took the double take,
And for my own sake.

I packed up some of the voices though,
And it was long before I realized.

By the time they sounded off,
My socks were off.

Still meals were slow,
And eardrums were weak,
Week to week,
Lap to lap,
I got my back off the wall.

Now I don’t do walls,
Don’t sit on them,
Don’t paint them,
And certainly don’t fall off of them.

I stuff it all here,
In these pages,
Where red ink,
Meets red paper,
And blue lines,
Replaced chalk lines.

No I’m no cut out,
No cookie cut,
And no cookie cutter.

I’m ever flowing,
And upstream.

I’m ever stretching,
And under stream.

I got my roots laid out,
Somewhere between,
That old bag I still keep,
And that old bag that couldn’t keep me.

I stay afloat,
I vote,
I sometimes appear to gloat…

But I’m no green skirt,
And I’m no black jack.

I stay afloat,
I vote,
And every time I beat the trap,
I appear to gloat.    

The Poem titled A Talent Never Realized comes from a past collection by the author NaTisha Renee Williams.  Copyright 2006, 2011.  All Rights Reserved by the Author and permission is granted by the author Natisha Renee Williams for use in The VCR Diaries produced in 2018 by Grace Call Communications, LLC


A Talent Never Realized

It jiggles like jello,
While the tiny window,
Between your thighs,
Is where every spectator’s,
Eyes lie,
The crowd is roaring,
Your butt cheeks are clapping,
Young and old alike,
They’re all digging you,
And anticipating your next move,
So with a quick full-split,
And with your head damn near,
Touching your toes,
You show them more of what you can do,
See, ain’t no other sixteen year old,
Can do it quite like you do,
So although your baby sister,
Is the academic genius,
You remain,
The number one source of entertainment,
To your mother,
And all her friends,
And you don’t mind performing,
At every family gathering,
Cause it’s the only time,
You don’t have to hear,
You’re stupid,
And it’s the only time your mother,
Seems proud to be a mother,
And all the other kids just look on,
In amazement,
Calling your moves,
TALENT,

And it’s the only time,
You get to hear the word talent,
And with all the excitement,
No one remembers to ask you,
Where you’d learn your moves,
And no one cares to see,
That you got a personal trainer,
Rapist,
Boyfriend,
More than ten years your senior,
And no one seems to notice,
The bruises on your neck,
From the way he grips on,
While riding you,
Steadily from behind,
Cause he likes the view,
And no one seems to care,
That everything came to ripe,
Overnight,
Cause just a few months ago,
You still looked sixteen,
But now you’re passed off for,
Your mother’s younger sister,
And your mother would rather,
Look like your sister,
‘Cause that sistah’s getting older,
But no closer,
To being a mother,
So another year passes,
And you stopped going to classes,
Cause you can’t see pass,
The lower class,
And you don’t know the value,
Of an education,
Because with poor diction,
All your mother said was,
“Cause I said so”,

But she forfeits to tell you,
The real reason,
You should stay in school,
So,
Today at seventeen,
To meet your man’s needs,
For you to have a good weave,
And pedicured feet,
You decide to take the act,
A few blocks down the street.
On a small stage,
You fill the room,
And steal the show,
And watch the side pockets,
Of your thongs grow,
And no one will ever know,
All you really wanted to be,
Was a track Pro,
Like Jackie Joyner Kersey,
And worst,
You will never know,

That’s what those long legs were for.

To Read Reece's Excerpt from the book Erased:
To begin the Novel Erased

All Poems Written by NaTisha Renee Williams 
All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.  Written permission must be secured from the author Natisha R. Williams and/or Grace Call Communications, LLC to use or reproduce any part of this Literary Work, except for brief quotation in critical reviews or articles. The VCR Diaries Copyright 2018 by Natisha Renee Williams, All Right Reserved. The Poem titled A Talent Never Realized comes from a past collection by the author NaTisha Renee Williams.  Copyright 2006, 2011.  All Rights Reserved by the Author and permission is granted by the author Natisha Renee Williams for use in The VCR Diaries produced in 2018 by Grace Call Communications, LLC

Comments